Kenyan production or service companies will arrange budgets, shooting schedules, breakdowns, recruitment of cast and crew, location surveys and reconnaissance trips, hire of equipment, facilities and service, accreditation for work permits, location permits, post production staff services, and payrolls, cost reports and budget reconciliations.

Work/Entry Permit in Kenya

Any Work or Residence Permits are issued to any Non-Kenyan wishing to engage in employment in Kenya whether in gainful employment or voluntary service.  And this issued by the Immigration Department in Kenya, which is classified under Kenya Citizenship and Immigration Act 2011 of Laws of Kenya. The following are the various classes of Permits and their respective requirements.-

Note: All Non-Kenyan citizens must be in possession of an entry/work permit or exemption, issued by the Office of the Director of Immigration Services, before they can take up employment in Kenya, whether paid or unpaid.

Non-Kenyans wanting to carry out short term business assignments like assembling machinery, maintenance or performance whether paid or unpaid must obtain a Kenya Special Pass from The Director of Immigration Services.

Non-Kenyan students intending to pursue studies in Kenya at any level including internships, must obtain a Kenya Pupils Pass from the Director of Immigration Services before embarking on their studies.

Any inquiries should be addressed to:

Director of Immigration Services
Department of Immigration
Nyayo House 9th Floor
P.O. Box 30191-00100
Nairobi, Kenya.
Tel: +245-20-222022
Fax: +254-20-220731
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Kenya Revue Authority

The KRA is mandated by the government of Kenya to Assess, Collect, Administer and Enforce laws relating to revenue.

The Authority is a Government agency that runs its operations in the same way as a private enterprise. In order to offer better single-window services to taxpayers, KRA is divided into five Regions as follows: Rift Valley Region, Western Region, Southern Region, Northern Region and Central Region.

In terms of revenue collection and other support functions, the Authority is divided into the following Departments:

  • Customs Services Department
  • Domestic Taxes Department
    i) Domestic Revenue
    ii) Large Taxpayers Office
  • Road Transport Department
  • Support Services Department
  • Investigations & Enforcement Department

The department that is highly tasked with film industry is mainly Domestic Taxes department and there are two main officers designated in assisting with film industry matters:

  • Deputy Commissioner – Airports Operations
  • Deputy Commissioner- Ports Operations 

Equipment that comes into the country can be cleared in different categories,

The first scenario being (accompanied equipment) shipped in for a temporary stay into the country.  The required upfront payment is always Kshs. 30,000 that serves as the security bond. But when the production company finishes their work they are refunded the money upon departure of personnel and equipment. 

The second scenario is when it is unaccompanied equipment (sea or air), then a Temporary import of equipment form shall be filled in and the (particulars and value of equipment) are filled in specific details. That is when the security bond is calculated in relation to value of equipment being shipped into the county. 

Thereafter they are forwarded together with the security bond to cover for any taxes or resale value in case the filming crew wishes to leave the equipment behind.  The execution of the bond is usually done by the licensed clearing agents for example DHL, Kuehne & Nagel, Ballore Africa and Urgent cargo.  It is important to note that there no taxes charged on the filming equipment imported into the country either by sea, road or air instead the security bond stands up as a security measure in case of any eventuality during the production and post-production process. 

The clearing agents needs the following documents in order to clear the equipment: supporting documents, invoice to indicate payment and list of equipment that has been parked.  

 pdf iconThe licensed cutoms clearing agents